Let's take this game called Heroes of Newerth, a dota style game. (If you don't know, dota or defense of the ancients, is a shoot off of warcraft 3 map where you choose a hero and fight against other heroes on the same map, just changing the hero and opponents- usually 5v5. There is no real progression from game to game, mostly just knowledge of what other heroes do) So a whole genre of games came out cause of this, the most well known being League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth. I have played the latter since the beta, the game has gone through many changes since then, and still does. I believe it was a great $30 spent due to the amount of hours I have spent on it, but frankly, thats all that I have done in that game: spend. There was no real investment. To make a long story short, I have cut down by a ton, almost 100% my time spent playing video games. I have then used to this time really stay ahead on class work for the university and of course, as you can see painting.
This hobby has made me better fulfilled with the time I have invested in it. Keyword invested. I have painted many different armies, and have sold many different armies, thus allowing me to buy other armies and models. Thanks to ebay, this hobby has allowed to stay almost 100% self sufficient with purchases and also has allowed me to pay for other interests such as my incoming trip to PAXEast. When it comes down to it, when you finish a model and able to hold it in front of you, the feeling is extremely satisfying. It almost beats the feeling of seeing two fully painted armies (one of which painted by you) fighting each other with beautiful scenic terrain. That is what I strive for in my meta and I will continue to push for it, although it isn't easy, but that is a post for another day. It's late and you guys have been reading too much text, just look at the pretty pictures!!!
Front view with camera light to better see chest.
Back
Notice how I twisted around the axe head to make it look more realistic than the way it was originally modeled to hold it. I wish I could have twisted the head a bit to look towards our left like the art in Domination, but unfortunately my modeling skills do not extend so far.
Next up:
Gallows Groves!



No comments:
Post a Comment