Another reason is, due to it being spring break week here in Puerto Rico, and the fact that is lines up with holy week, I have been spending time with the family, namely both my parents. Last weekend I was with my mother and this week I have been with my father, visiting. Thus, I have had less time to play. I did manage to get a very large game in with a couple buddies of mine.
Before I get into that game, I would like to say that recently I have felt the excitement of warmachine and hordes in my area has been flagging. I for one have been unaffected by it, I love all aspects of the hobby, but my number of consistent opponents has dropped. The consequence of this has of course been less meaningful games played. This has me a little sad and kind of frustrated but at the same time not that surprised. When I get into something, and really like it, I tend to get pretty passionate about it. This is not to say that I am a dick in any way, but my attitude towards people tends to change subtlety. I am not a passive aggresive guy either, it is just I learn to expect less from people. When I mean passionate, I am refering to wanting to play a bunch of quick games, no matter the outcome and have them also be engaging where you do not have to feel bad because your dice rolled well at a critical moment or your opponent did not know your army well enough to see a specific tactic coming.
When I think of the past 5 games I have played, I think only 2 have been satisfying. By satisfying, I mean when you are done with a game, weather you win or lose, you feel that it was a good game, well played from both sides. One of these games was when David shot Molik Karn towards Barnabus from an oblique angle and basically pushed the game in his favor decisively. Extremely well played and made me think hard as to what I could have done after I was on the ropes. The other game was a win vs eMakaeda where my opponent failed to go all in. It was satisfying in that how I prepared for the bullet and even if he had gone all in, had a reasonable chance to survive and counter punch. It did not hurt that I ate Molik Karn and drank his 5 fury!
So, after the string of unsatisfaying games, I have been dying for a tournament style day where you are fit a ton of fast paced games in the time it takes to play one casual game. I was hoping for this in this event I am going this weekend called Penny Arcade Expo or PAX. This event/convention is held in Boston and is for everything gaming. From console's to tabletop to RPGs and card games. It is actually the catalyst behind my group picking up warmachine/hordes and for me playing it as well. One of the events at the convention is a simple 35 point Steamroller. I have of coursed signed up, but unfortunately, after having checked the thread, there are only 3 people signed up for it. Originally, when I signed up there was like 13 or 14 and I was like nice! I know this is not going to be like Gencon or anything but I was happy with having 10+ people new to play with. As it stands, I am not 100% sure it is still going to be held or if I should even lug my models over there. None of the other Five Guys group is going to bring their stuff (as I said about the dwindled interest in the system) which could have swelled the numbers of this tournament and gave them a really nice experience into the hobby. They have really only seen what Puerto Rico has to offer. PR is small, with only 15 people max who play warmachine/hordes on the whole island (that I know off). They have not been to St. Louis where there are multiple stores holding events almost on a weekly bases. They have not been to Diecon or Gencon where the amount of players to go to each tournament is massive! It would be different if we lived near such a place. If only...
Well, I have decided to bring my models anyways and try my luck to see even if I don't win the tournament, play some interesting and fun lists like this casting galore list:
Mohsar the Desertwalker
5
Gorax
4
Feral Warpwolf
9
Megalith
11
Druids of Orboros (Leader and 5 Grunts)
7
Druid of Orboros Overseer
2
Blackclad Wayfarer
2
Gallows Grove
1
Gallows Grove
1
Gallows Grove
1
Gallows Grove
Also, if I can get some games in the free play area, that would be awesome as well! My hope has not still
been dashed!
I will be honest though. I am extremely pumped to go to my internship this summer. I will be going to Lima, OH where as far as I know there is no warmachine players, but there is a light. This light is that in an hour to hour and half drive away in any direction, there are multiple communities of warmachine players, all probably holding tournaments and events and maybe even the rare con. Places such as the famed detroit meta, Toledo, Fort wayne, Dayton and Columbus at 2 hours or less drive away. While it may be tough to make it to the far away places during the weekdays, for a Saturday or Sunday where I can fit in a couple of games, or even a tournament, it is very much so worth it. Plus, all the different play styles I can see and come up against will be extremely welcome when compared to slight stagnation here in PR.
I am also putting into the works, going to Gencon for all the days this year. While it is an inconvenient time (during first week of class), I will see what I can do to go, considering Indianapolis is only 2 hours and a half away from Lima.
No comments:
Post a Comment